Steve, maybe Schafer can take over in CF. He’s off to a great start. Best of luck to him with all he’s been through over the past 3 years. The guy’s got a great makeup to go through what he’s been through and still be positive. This all makes me wonder if a trade is the fix since Jordan might sure-up CF. I think everyone needs to play at their capable level to get the team rolling. THAT is the biggest issue. This team has the talent to be really, really good. I’m sure Wren has to be shaking his head at the way they’re playing right now.
Random thoughts after watching the last game:
1. Has Linebrink sufficiently redeemed himself with his past 2 appearances? I’m optimistic, but still wary.
2. Venters is just so good that you can’t help but be tempted to put him out there every time. He looked spent in that last outing. But he still got it done.
3. D-Lowe – just awful. At least he knows it. Will he get better or worse?
4. Uggla. Another 0-fer. Here’s a suggestion: wear a shirt that doesn’t choke your blood vessels.
5. I don’t like the whole dirt-shower antic for walk-offs. It’s all fun and good until somebody gets an eye infection.
Lowe had a bad outing, no doubt about it. Every team who’s starting pitcher struggles will struggle. But the Braves found a way to win. We can be down all we want, but we’re still 3 out of 4 for the week with JJ going tonight. Not a bad position to be in.
The concern about the dirt causing eye infection kind of cracks me up. I understand that it’s probably a legitimate concern but it seems like there’s more to be worried about out there.
So, my 10 year old is on a tournament baseball team this summer. A new tournament, every weekend, at different venues around GA. This weekend’s been the first one. And it is fun as hell. I’m getting as fired up (or more) at these games as I am at the Ted. Crazy fact about the league he’s in. When they go into xtra innings, each team starts their inning with a man on 2nd base. To help along the likelihood of scoring.
My bigger concern would be with Hudson jumping around with those guys when he’s missed starts recently due to back stiffness. I’ve always thought the walk-off celebrations were pretty dumb when it’s not for a playoff series win or clinching something. Those guys had more energy in that celebration than they had in most of their recent games.