Tonight’s game against the Marlins is the first I’ve been able to watch. Here are my first impressions:
- Medlen looks great. I take back any reservations I had.
- Venters looks like hell. It’s going to be painful this year.
- Both Uptons look great. Justin made a great play in left.
- All those projections that Shaun listed are too high for Uggla. AND 5 errors for Uggla already. Yikes.
- Even though he flied out, Gattis at the plate was pretty fun to watch.
- Chris Johnson could not look less athletic.
Steve @27, yeah, Uggla does look done. He reminds me of Marcus Giles: Both short, stocky secondbaseman without any overwhelming baseball tools or athleticism, although Uggla had more power, which may be why he was able to hang on a little longer. It seems like these types of players aren’t good long-term bets.
@29 – Leah, not sure if you’re referring to a play he made last night toward the end of the game where he made a nifty catch behind 3rd. And it looked to me like he’d injured himself on the play, because it looked like he was limping. But they never said anything about it. He may just run that way. It’s weird.